Kings' Stoll pleads guilty to two misdemeanors to resolve drug case

Kings center Jarret Stoll pleaded guilty Thursday to two reduced misdemeanor charges stemming from his April arrest on suspicion of possession of cocaine and Ecstasy at the MGM Grand pool.

Stoll had been charged this week with one felony count of possession of cocaine but an amended criminal complaint filed with the Las Vegas Justice Court in Clark County did not mention narcotics. The plea agreement included one misdemeanor count of "provoking commission of breach of peace," and another misdemeanor count of trespass at the Wet Republic Pool.

The arrest report released to the media in April from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department shortly after the arrest detailed an exchange between Stoll and a police officer, with Stoll allegedly answering, "Yes," when asked whether the powder seized from him was cocaine.

His plea-agreement sentence includes performing 32 hours of community service within 120 days, and Stoll's lawyer David Chesnoff said Stoll has already started that process in Las Vegas.

Stoll, a member of the Kings' Stanley Cup champion teams in 2012 and 2014, was not present at Thursday's court proceedings.

"Now that the case has been resolved, I am committed to meeting all of my obligations to the court and I'm grateful for the chance to offer guidance and to share positive life lessons to kids as part of the resolution of this matter," Stoll said in a statement.

"My focus remains on hockey and I'm looking forward to getting back on the ice next season."

Stoll's community service will include putting together a hockey program for at-risk youth in the Las Vegas area. Stoll also will volunteer with the Salvation Army in Clark County.

Stoll will donate hockey equipment, said to be worth about $50,000, as part of the youth program. In Thursday's court proceedings, the likelihood of NHL expansion to Las Vegas was addressed as well the an inclusion of league players, possibly teammates of Stoll, to address the youth program and add a "celebrity component."

The program does not have an official name, Chesnoff said, noting details are still being worked out.

"He's a great athlete. That's his sport. We knew [the NHL] could be coming and we thought it would be something that would catch the attention of the at-risk kids and provide Jarret a forum to tell them about how important a good lifestyle and health is," Chesnoff said.

"We're very satisfied" with the resolution.

Chesnoff, a prominent Las Vegas attorney, has represented such celebrities as Paris Hilton and Bruno Mars and other high-profile athletes and figures from the music and entertainment worlds.

The felony drug possession charge could have carried a sentence ranging from probation to up to four years in state prison.

Although the NHL suspended Kings defenseman Slava Voynov immediately after Voynov was arrested on suspicion of domestic violence last fall, there was no such action taken against Stoll, who was arrested shortly after the end of the regular season.

"There is no suspension at this time," said NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, in an email to The Times. "Now that his legal situation is resolved, we will evaluate what next steps, if any, the league intends to take.

"But we have no further comment on the matter at this time."

Stoll, who turned 33 on Wednesday, is due to be an unrestricted free agent July 1. Even before his arrest in April, he was not expected to return to the Kings next season.

The Kings had no comment on Thursday's development. General Manager Dean Lombardi said recently he met with Stoll in May and it was one of the "most gut-wrenching meetings" of his long career in hockey.

lisa.dillman@latimes.com

Twitter: @reallisa

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
67°