Dustin Pedroia, Red Sox close to $100-million extension

All-Star second baseman Dustin Pedroia is close to a contract that could keep him with the Boston Red Sox for his entire career.

A person with knowledge of the talks said Tuesday that Pedroia is in the process of agreeing to a deal adding $100 million over seven seasons through 2021.

The person spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the agreement was not yet complete. The new deal was first reported by WEEI.

Pedroia is being paid $10 million this year and is guaranteed the same amount in 2014 as part of a $40.5-million, six-year contract that started in 2009. That deal includes an $11-million club option for 2015 with a $500,000 buyout.

The 5-foot-8, 165-pound sparkplug was the American League rookie of the year in 2007 and AL most valuable player in 2008.

"It's not official or anything, but, yeah, this is my home," Pedroia said. "I love being here. I love my teammates. I love the city. So if [the deal is finalized], I'll be pretty excited."

Through Monday, Pedroia was hitting .308 with six home runs and 57 runs batted in. He made only two errors and sat out only one game. He has a .303 career batting average, 96 home runs and 466 RBIs.

Pirates put Jason Grilli on the disabled list

Right-hander Jason Grilli, the National League leader in saves with 30, was put on the 15-day disabled list by the Pittsburgh Pirates because of a right forearm strain.

Grilli left Monday night's game at Washington in the ninth inning because of discomfort in the forearm. He is 0-1 with a 2.34 earned-run average.

Manager Clint Hurdle said Mark Melancon (2-1, 0.97, two saves) will assume the closer's role.

Pittsburgh activated second baseman Neil Walker, who had been on the disabled list since July 7 because of right-side soreness, and designated infielder Brandon Inge for assignment.

Matt Garza to start for Rangers on Wednesday

Matt Garza will make his Texas Rangers debut Wednesday night against the New York Yankees.

Garza, acquired from the Chicago Cubs in a trade Monday, didn't talk to reporters at Rangers Ballpark on Tuesday. The Rangers said the right-hander was sticking to his policy of not doing interviews the day before pitching.

The Rangers optioned right-hander Cory Burns and left-hander Joseph Ortiz to triple-A Round Rock to clear spots on the 25-man active roster for Garza and right-hander Alexi Ogando, who was activated from the disabled list to start Tuesday night against the Yankees.

Garza was 5-0 with a 1.24 ERA in his last six starts for the Cubs.

Padres' Jason Marquis to have elbow surgery

San Diego Padres pitcher Jason Marquis, 34, suffered a complete tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow and will undergo surgery as soon as next week, Manager Bud Black said.

"And I think as of right now, he plans on pitching again. He's going to give it a go, he's going to rehab and I think he wants to come back and compete," Black said.

Marquis (9-5, 4.05 ERA) had lost three consecutive decisions over six starts. He went on the disabled list Sunday because of what was listed as a right elbow strain.

Alderman now supports Wrigley Field renovation

The alderman whose ward includes Wrigley Field says he now supports a $500-million renovation of the home of the Cubs, clearing a path for final City Council approval.

Alderman Tom Tunney suggested he won some key concessions from the Cubs. Perhaps the biggest is an agreement not to erect any outfield signs in addition to a Jumbotron in left field and another large sign in right field.

Tunney says the Cubs also agreed to postpone indefinitely a planned bridge over Clark Street.

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
84°