* David Nick, Cypress. As a sophomore second baseman playing on the same team with Josh Vitters, the No. 3 pick in the Major League Baseball draft, Nick earned all-league honors. But this summer he proved he's a major college prospect. "He's a darn good player," Coach John Weber said. "He's a guy who can hit the ball all over the yard."
* Zack Zerrenner, Santa Barbara. A senior defender, he scored the winning goal to help his club team win the U.S. Youth Soccer 16-and-under national championship.
He wasn't considered a national recruit before the summer began but ended up committing to UCLA. Zerrenner ran and hiked for hours this summer in the hills around Santa Barbara, challenging himself physically and mentally.
"I pushed myself," he said.
* Lane Carico, Manhattan Beach Mira Costa. What's a girls' volleyball team supposed to do when its most talented player in school history, Alix Klineman, has left for Stanford? The Mustangs turned to Carico, a 5-11 senior outside hitter who has committed to Miami and made important strides over the summer.
* Richard Brehaut, Rancho Cucamonga Los Osos. This junior quarterback could be one of the best two-sport standouts in the Southland -- he's also an outstanding baseball player. But it was his improved arm strength that got him noticed. He started the football season by scoring the winning touchdown last week on a 32-yard run against La Puente Bishop Amat and also completed 15 of 19 passes for 188 yards and one touchdown.
* Ryan Katz, Santa Monica. A senior quarterback, Katz accepted a scholarship to Oregon State after a summer in which he showed he could compete against some of the best passers in the Southland.
* Blake Stanton, Encino Crespi. A starter at point guard as a freshman for the basketball team, Stanton made his biggest impression this summer playing wide receiver in football passing competitions.
* Dylan Davis, Newport Beach Corona del Mar. The 6-7 junior volleyball player led his club team to the 16-and-under national championship at the Junior Olympics, establishing himself as one of the Southland's elite players.
Eric Sondheimer can be reached at email@example.com