1) Sorry, Nick Young. On Thursday, “IDM” stood for I Definitely Miss. He made one of six shots and had his minutes shortened in a game in which the Lakers badly needed him. “He wasn’t defending and he wasn’t getting nothin’ going offensively,” Coach Byron Scott said.
2) The Lakers miss Pau Gasol. Do they ever. The most surprising stat for him this season is his two blocked shots a game. It’s been almost 10 years since he did this well defensively. Add his 23 points, 13 rebounds and two assists Thursday and, yeah, he could help the Lakers.
3) It wasn’t a bad game until the Lakers were absolutely hammered on the boards in the last quarter. The Bulls had 18 rebounds, the Lakers only nine, and that was that.
4) Strange game for Jordan Clarkson. The rookie had two astonishing plays, but not both for the better. He had a superb blocked shot in the second quarter, volleyball-spiking Aaron Brooks’ attempt hard onto the court. But he also missed a fourth-quarter breakaway layup to the surprise, and utter delight, of Bulls fans.
5) Another quiet game for Jeremy Lin: six points on two-for-eight shooting, two assists and two turnovers in 19 minutes. Silent night indeed.