Nick Kyrgios will miss the rest of the season after being suspended by the men’s tour and fined an additional $25,000 for “tanking” a match and insulting fans in the mercurial Australian’s latest run-in with tennis authorities.
The ATP said Kyrgios was sanctioned for “conduct contrary to the integrity of the game” following an investigation into his behavior during a second-round loss to German qualifier Mischa Zverev last week at the Shanghai Masters.
Kyrgios gave little effort during the 6-3, 6-1 defeat, even patting easy serves over the net and turning away before his opponent’s serve had crossed the net.
The 21-year-old Australian had already been fined a total of $16,500 for failing to give a full effort, unsportsmanlike conduct and verbal abuse of a spectator.
In addition to the extra $25,000 fine, Kyrgios was handed an eight-week suspension lasting through Jan. 15 — a day before the start of the Australian Open, the year’s first Grand Slam tournament.
However, the tour said the suspension will be reduced to three weeks if Kyrgios agrees to enter “a plan of care under the direction of a sports psychologist or an equivalent plan approved by the ATP.” That means he would be eligible to return on Nov. 7.
Kyrgios issued a statement offering another apology for his conduct in Shanghai and saying he will be back in 2017. He did not say whether he would enter the treatment program mandated by the ATP.
Kyrgios’ outburst in Shanghai came only days after he had won his third title of the season in Tokyo. During the match, Kyrgios was cautioned by the chair umpire about his conduct as a professional and booed and jeered by the crowd. He responded angrily to the taunt of a fan by shouting, “You want to come here and play?”
In a post-match interview, Kyrgios said he didn’t care about the crowd reaction because he didn’t owe them anything.