Chivas USA (2-7-5) has not had much to celebrate this season, but on Tuesday the team got some good news when leading scorer Erick “Cubo” Torres extended his loan, which ran out this month, through the end of the 2014 MLS season.
“I feel good, happy with the news,” Torres said in Spanish on Wednesday. “I hope to continue working with the same intensity, with a lot of happiness to hopefully keep things going the right way.”
The 21-year-old Mexican striker ranks third in the league with nine goals, behind Bradley Wright-Phillips of the New York Red Bulls and Dom Dwyer of Sporting Kansas City, who have 11.
“I think for me, the best thing was to stay these six more months,” Torres said. “I’m feeling happy with how things are going for me, with the team -- I think we’re improving a lot. We’re adapting every day to the way [Coach] Wilmer Cabrera wants us to play.”
Torres came over from Chivas de Guadalajara in July 2013 and had been linked with a return to his home club after Jorge Vergara, owner of the Mexican club and former owner of Chivas USA, sold the Los Angeles-based franchise to MLS in February.
Chivas USA will have the option to sign the striker beyond 2014 at the end of the season, although Torres did not make any commitments.
“My future here is for three months and I’m focused on that. After that, if there’s an owner, or whatever may come after, we’ll see what happens,” Torres said.
Torres said he wants to play in a World Cup for Mexico some day.
“I think I still need to grow as a soccer player.” he said. “There are a lot of important competitions coming up for Mexico -- Copa America, the Olympics coming up in two years -- those are important tournaments, and I want to be representing my team in those competitions. And, why not, be at the World Cup in four years.”Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times