David Ortiz indicated Sunday night that he wouldn't hesitate to walk away from the Boston Red Sox after this season if he doesn't get the contract extension he is seeking.
The reigning World Series MVP told a Boston TV station that he wants to play at least two more seasons -- and perhaps many more -- and would like to do so with the Red Sox, with whom he's played the last 11 seasons and won three championship rings.
But, he said, if the team doesn'make him a suitable offer, "it's time to move on."
“It’s been a hell of a ride as long as I’ve been here,” he told Steve Burton on WBZ-TV's "Sports Final." “But like I always keep on telling people, this is business. Sometimes you’ve got to do what is best for you and your family. As long as they keep offering me a job and I keep on doing what I’m supposed to do and the relationship keeps on building up, I’m going to be there. Hopefully I won’t have to go and wear another uniform.”
The 38-year-old designated hitter batted .309 with 30 home runs and 103 RBIs last year and feels he can put up similar numbers for years to come -- even if he has to do it for a team other than the Red Sox.
“If I have to, I’ve got no choice," Ortiz said. "I’m not going to quit. As long as I keep on hitting the ball the way I have, I’m going to keep on giving it a try.”
ALSO:Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times