NEW YORK -- The day before Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston likely wins the Heisman Trophy, he was asked innocuous questions about his major, his baseball career and his love of football.
When reporters eventually asked about a now-closed investigation of a sexual battery allegation against Winston, Florida State's sports information director promptly intervened. But the freshman front-runner for the award later defended himself.
"I knew I did nothing wrong," he told reporters Friday at the Marriott Marquis, where the trophy will be presented Saturday night. "I knew I could respect the process and I'd eventually be vindicated."
The Florida state attorney ended the investigation last week without charging Winston, but the accuser is not going away quietly. Her attorney held a news conference Friday in Florida and called for a review of the Tallahassee Police Department's handling of the case, citing omissions and contradictions in the investigation that was launched after the allegation was made in December 2012.
Florida Gov. Rick Scott responded in a statement that the investigation would not be reopened.
Asked if he saw the Heisman platform as an opportunity to clear his name, Winston said: "Everything I do and [how] I carry myself is a form of character. My parents brought me up right. I'm going to be myself no matter what's going on or what's happening."
Winston, 19, was considered a lock for the Heisman once the investigation ended without charges. He completed 67.9% of his passes for 3,820 yards and 38 touchdowns as he led the No. 1 Seminoles to an undefeated record and a spot in the national title game Jan. 6 against Auburn.
Asked if the media have treated him fairly, Winston said: "I don't know other people's motives. I just do what I do on a daily basis and play football."
He said he didn't consider himself a lock for the Heisman.
"Just to stay humble," he said. "There's so many great players, you never know what might happen. Your heart still going to be pounding."