Sports Sports Now

Jason Pierre-Paul reportedly has a finger amputated and a broken thumb

The concern over the severity of the hand injury New York Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul sustained Saturday in a fireworks accident reached a fever pitch Wednesday following reports he had a finger amputated.

Then, on Thursday, NFL Media reported that Pierre-Paul also has a broken thumb. According to the report, the thumb has pins in place and could take up to six weeks to heal.

The 26-year-old Pro Bowler was hospitalized after sustaining injuries while lighting fireworks Saturday night, according to multiple reports.

Initially, NFL insiders said Pierre-Paul suffered burns and possible nerve damage, but ESPN’s Adam Schefter dropped a bombshell Wednesday when he tweeted an apparent medical document showing the star pass rusher's right index finger had been amputated.

NFL Media's Ian Rapoport later confirmed Schefter's report.

It is unclear where or how Schefter obtained the document. There was an almost immediate backlash on social media concerning ethics and what many considered private medical information.

"HIPAA does not apply to news organizations," said ESPN in a statement referencing the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, which regulates the way medical records are used and disclosed.

It has been reported the Pierre-Paul is at Jackson Memorial Hospital. That hospital did not acknowledge Pierre-Paul being a patient, but did release two tweets about the leaking of medical records.

Ian Rapoport of confirmed the amputation and explained the possible thought process.

Lott, a safety for the 49ers, chose to have the tip of his left pinkie amputated in April 1986 rather than endure the lengthier healing process of reconstructive surgery. His finger was crushed during a game.

Howie Long, Ronnie Lott and Joe Montana watch a video presentation during their enshrinement into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on July 29, 2000. (Jeff Glidden / Associated Press)

The Giants have not publicly responded to reports concerning Pierre-Paul's injuries.

On Monday the team withdrew a multiyear, $60-million contract offer to Pierre-Paul in the wake of the incident, according to

New York used its franchise tag for Pierre-Paul in March. He hasn't signed its $14.8-million tender. The Giants retain Pierre-Paul's rights under the franchise tag even though he technically isn't under contract.

Pierre-Paul recorded 12.5 sacks, 77 tackles and three forced fumbles in 16 games with the Giants last season. He was drafted by the team in 2010.


July 9, 10:20 a.m.: Adds statement from ESPN.

July 9, 6:35 a.m.: This article has been update with a report that Pierre-Paul also has a broken thumb.

9:22 p.m.: This article has been updated with tweets from Jackson Health System.

This article was originally published at 8:25 p.m.

Follow Ryan Parker on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times