Two weeks after having heart surgery, NBA Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar went to the emergency room Wednesday, but he has since been released and is back home, according to a statement from his representative.
The former Lakers player and assistant coach, who turned 68 this month, “was experiencing some discomfort following his April 16 quadruple bypass surgery,” the statement said.
Abdul-Jabbar contacted his doctor, who told him to go to the emergency room at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, according to the statement. After being evaluated by his surgeon and cardiologist, it said, he was medically cleared.
“His surgeon, Dr. Richard Shemin, said it is not uncommon for patients to experience symptoms of discomfort following major heart surgery and Abdul-Jabbar did the right thing by coming in to see his physicians,” the statement said.
Earlier on Wednesday, Abdul-Jabbar said on Twitter that he was doing well.
“Just want to let everyone know I'm doing fine & feeling better everyday. Doing my rehab w/the same mental commitment I had as an pro,” he posted.
The 7-foot-2 New York native won six NBA championships, five with the Lakers and one with the Milwaukee Bucks.
Abdul-Jabbar battled successfully through leukemia in 2009.