Pele says he's 'doing fine' after being hospitalized with infection

Soccer legend Pele says he has recovered from a urinary tract infection that kept him hospitalized two weeks

Brazilian soccer legend Pele thanked fans in an online video Friday for their support after he was treated for a urinary tract infection at a Sao Paulo hospital the past two weeks.

Pele, 74, said he's "doing fine" and has "recovered" in a video posted to Facebook and Twitter. He thanked his fans for praying for him during his time in the hospital.

Pele was in intensive care for several days last month and underwent hemodialysis to support his only kidney. The infection stemmed from a surgery he had Nov. 13 to remove kidney stones. 

Pele has had only one kidney since his playing days, when one was removed after he developed complications from a broken rib he suffered while playing.

Pele is the only player in soccer history to be on three World Cup-winning teams. He was a member of Brazil's World Cup champion sides in 1958, 1962 and 1970 and is the country's all-time leading goal scorer in international competition.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Twitter: @austinknob

Copyright © 2016, Los Angeles Times
62°