Richie Incognito took a short break from Twitter over the weekend.
During that time the Dolphins offensive lineman seems to have found a new attitude toward the bullying controversy that has engulfed him since fall and culminated in an NFL-ordered report released last week that pointed to a "pattern of harassment" by Incognito and two teammates.
On Monday Incognito tweeted out a general apology for his behavior following the release of the report. Then early Tuesday morning he sent another one specifically for Jonathan Martin, the Dolphins lineman who is considered to have been a primary bullying target by Incognito and cohorts John Jerry and Mike Pouncey.
I apologize for acting like a big baby the last few days. This has all been so much on me and my family. I just want to play football— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 17, 2014
I would like to send Jonathan my apologies as well. Until someone tells me different you are still my brother. No hard feelings :)— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 18, 2014
He later also tweeted apologies to independent investigator Ted Wells and Dolphins owner Stephen Ross.
Last Wednesday, two days before the Wells report came out, Incognito went on the offensive with several tweets, some addressing Martin by name.
Dear Jon Martin..... The truth is going to bury you and your entire "camp". You could have told the truth the entire time.— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
I'm guilty of being a loyal friend and good teammate. I apologize for my poor language and rude remarks. I've never denied it.— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
I apologize to all of the women out there that I offended with my text messages to my close personal friend.— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
FACT: Jonathan Martin told me he thought about taking his own life in MAY 2013 b/c he wasn't playing well. Told me he felt worthless.— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 12, 2014
On Friday, the day the report was released, Incognito apparently decided to show that he, in fact, had become a victim of bullying.
Pleeeeease Stop The Hate. Happy Valentines Day :)— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 14, 2014
He then retweeted a flurry of hateful messages sent his way, followed by a few more that addressed the report.
You could not define me in 144 years let alone 144 pages Mr Wells. Thank you for your hard work and dedication.— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 15, 2014
INDEPENDENT ? http://t.co/KlCnmstCuU— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 15, 2014
He wrapped all up by seemingly announcing his departure from the social media site.
Goodbye twitter. Be well See you on the other side ¿¿¿¿— Richie Incognito (@68INCOGNITO) February 15, 2014
Incognito, an eight-year veteran and one-time Pro Bowler, was suspended by the Dolphins for most of the season. He will become an unrestricted free agent next month.