Unbeaten Chris Weidman will defend his Ultimate Fighting Championship middleweight title against Brazilian Vitor Belfort on Dec. 6 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, the UFC announced Wednesday.
The fight date was finalized, the UFC said, after the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which caught Belfort using testosterone in February, granted him a license to fight.
Belfort will be subjected to random drug testing between now and the fight date, he was told by Nevada regulators.
Weidman (12-0) claimed a compelling unanimous decision over former light-heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida on July 5, surviving a rugged fourth round. Weidman has also twice beaten long-reigning middleweight champion Anderson Silva.
In the veteran Belfort (24-10), Weidman will contend against a 37-year-old who has beaten Michael Bisping, Luke Rockhold and Dan Henderson following a light-heavyweight loss to champion Jon Jones in 2012. Each of the three bouts after the loss to Jones were in Brazil.
Belfort, who was also memorably knocked out by Silva’s kick to his face in a February 2011 middleweight title fight, participated in UFC 12 in 1997. The Dec. 6 fight is UFC 181.
Belfort failed a performance-enhancing drug test in 2006 in Nevada, and had sought last year to fight again in the state while in the process of testosterone replacement therapy.
The Nevada commission’s then-executive director discouraged Belfort from applying back then, saying fighters under the World Anti-Doping Agency code can’t argue that they’re currently using testosterone to account for reduced levels caused by prior performance-enhancing drug use.
Nevada and the UFC have since that ruled fighters may not participate if they are in a testosterone replacement program.Copyright © 2014, Los Angeles Times