LAPD investigating possible domestic violence in Josh Shaw case

LAPD investigating possible domestic violence in Josh Shaw case
Josh Shaw runs back an interception for a touchdown against Hawaii last season. (Eugene Tanner / AP)

Cornerback Josh Shaw is suspended indefinitely from USC's football team, but a police investigation continues.

The Shaw situation took another turn Friday when Los Angeles police said they were investigating whether Shaw and his girlfriend were involved in a domestic-violence incident last weekend.


Shaw's attorney, Donald Etra, said his client "has already spoken to the LAPD twice. We believe that is enough. The matter is over and there is no need to talk to them further.... Enough is enough."

"We would have liked to hear from Mr. Shaw to provide some clarity about the situation, but that is not going to happen," Capt. John McMahon, head of Central Division patrol, said Friday. "In light of that, our investigation into a possible domestic dispute will continue."

McMahon said Shaw's girlfriend had spoken to police and "did not indicate she was a victim" of domestic violence, but he declined to detail her statement.

Police went to a third-floor apartment in the Orsini Apartments building in downtown Los Angeles about 10:40 p.m. Saturday night after receiving a report of a woman screaming, Officer Sara Faden said.

Officers knocked on the apartment door but there was no answer, so they broke open the door and conducted a brief search, but found no one inside," Faden said, adding that the officers noticed "the window had been pried open."

Faden said witnesses told police they had seen a man with dreadlocks climbing from the third-floor balcony of the apartment. The woman who resides in the unit then arrived on the scene. Given the description of the man provided by witnesses, she said it fit that of her boyfriend, Shaw.

The woman, whom police have not identified, reported nothing stolen from the apartment.

McMahon said police talked to Shaw twice by phone Monday and he denied being at the apartment on Saturday. "He had made statements to the effect he was not there, and our investigation showed he was there." McMahon said.

Police want to speak to Shaw again to "clarify his whereabouts" but the player has refused, citing his attorney's advice, McMahon said.

A USC athletic department spokesman declined comment.

Shaw, a senior, was suspended indefinitely by USC on Wednesday after he admitted to school officials that he lied about how he sustained injuries to his ankles.

Shaw initially told USC he was injured after jumping off a second-story balcony to save a young nephew from drowning in a pool at a family gathering in Palmdale.

USC touted Shaw's heroism on its website and posted a link to the story on Twitter. Media outlets, including the Los Angeles Times, reported the account, and it went viral over social media.

Shaw confessed Wednesday that the rescue story was a lie. Shaw's attorney said the player was injured when he fell off a balcony at the Orsini on Saturday, but provided no other details.