Total time: 2 hours, 55 minutes
Note: From Terry Fortia, sous chef at Memphis. Bayou Magic Cajun Seasoning and Red Rooster hot sauce are widely available in supermarkets. Aidells makes an andouille sausage that is also widely available.
2 pounds duck legs
2 tablespoons Bayou Magic
1/2 large onion
1 bay leaf
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup flour
1/2 cup diced celery
2 cups diced onion
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup diced yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1 tablespoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon gumbo file
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon white pepper
1 tablespoon dried sage
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 pounds andouille sausage, in 1/4 -inch slices
3 cups sliced okra ( 1/2 -inch slices; about 1 pound)
Red Rooster hot sauce
1. Rub the duck legs with the Bayou Magic. Roast at 275 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (slow cooking keeps the duck tender). Remove the meat from the bones; discard the skin and reserve the bones. Dice the meat coarsely and reserve.
2. Place the duck bones in a large stockpot and add 1 gallon (16 cups) water. Add the carrot, onion and bay leaf. Simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and strain, discarding the solids.
3. Return the stock to the cleaned stockpot. Continue to simmer on low heat.
4. In a medium skillet, melt the butter and slowly whisk in the flour. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the mixture is a dark caramel color, about 10 to 15 minutes, for a dark roux.
5. Add the diced celery, onion and bell peppers to the roux. Cook about 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender. Add the garlic, thyme, basil, oregano, crushed red pepper, gumbo file, salt, pepper, sage, diced tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook for a few minutes, then add the mixture to the stockpot. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat to simmer; cook 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, cook the andouille in a large skillet in batches to brown the sausage and render the fat. Drain and discard the fat. Add the cooked sausage and duck pieces to the soup. Simmer for 10 minutes, add the okra and cook for 20 minutes more.
7. Taste and adjust the seasonings, salt and pepper. Skim the fat from the surface of the soup. Serve over rice with Red Rooster hot sauce.
Each serving: 293 calories; 17 grams protein; 16 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams fiber; 19 grams fat; 9 grams saturated fat; 92 mg. cholesterol; 1,004 mg. sodium.Copyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times