A Illinois man pleaded not guilty Thursday after being charged by Los Angeles County prosecutors with one count of stalking actress and singer Selena Gomez.
Thomas Brodnicki, 46, is accused of stalking the 19-year-old star of "Monte Carlo" and "Wizards of Waverly Place" during the last three months.
Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Upinder Kalra set bail at $150,000 and granted a three-year protective order sought last month by the actress, which requires Brodnicki to stay at least 100 yards away from Gomez as well as her parents and an assistant.
Brodnicki, formerly of Des Plaines, Ill., allegedly has a long history of mental illness and two previous stalking convictions. If found guilty in this case, he would face a maximum state prison term of three years.
In her request for the protective order, Gomez said she was told by authorities that Brodnicki traveled from Chicago to Los Angeles to meet her and that he said he's had conversations with God about killing the actress.
In court documents, Gomez said she feared Brodnicki would harm her parents and the assistant "in his attempts to see me or to harm or kill me." The court issued a temporary restraining order Oct. 13 after being told that Brodnicki visited Gomez's workplace at least three times.
-- Andrew Blankstein, Los Angeles TimesCopyright © 2015, Los Angeles Times