Regarding "Change coming to city council?" Nov. 15:
What new era? The Huntington Beach term-limits policies must be revisited. The current system is similar to Russia's, where Putin was able to run for a new term after being out of office a few years. We need new blood, not the same faces playing musical chairs after being "term-limited out." All the debt and alleged reform these new council members need to address is due to their own irresponsible non-action the last time they were in office.
I have never seen a council member truly be attentive to a speaker on the floor who was an HB citizen expressing concern on an issue. Exactly who are they representing, other than their deep-pocket friends and self-serving interest?
Pardon all turkeys this holiday
President Obama has the power to pardon more turkeys on Thanksgiving. But so does every one of us, by choosing a nonviolent Thanksgiving observance that gives thanks for our good fortune, health and happiness with a life-affirming, cruelty-free feast of vegetables, fruits and grains.
And here are more terrific reasons:
• You will stay alert through the entire football game.
• You are what you eat. Who wants to be a "butterball"?
• Your vegetarian kid won't have to boycott the family dinner.
• You won't have to call Poultry Hotline to keep your family alive.
• Fruits and vegetables don't have to carry government warning labels.
• You won't sweat the environment-and-food-resources-devastation guilt trip.
• You won't spend a sleepless night wondering how the turkey lived and died.
• Your body will welcome a holiday from saturated fat, cholesterol and hormones.
Our own dinner this Thanksgiving will feature a "Tofurky," lentil roast, mashed potatoes, corn stuffing, stuffed squash, candied yams, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. An Internet search on "vegetarian Thanksgiving" got us more recipes and other useful information than we could possibly use.