La Cañada was one of the first communities in Los Angeles County to lend books to residents, setting up a library at the back of a general store in 1913.
The branch was located at the intersection of Union and Michigan avenues, near the current Foothill Boulevard. It officially opened on May 23, 1913, becoming the second library in the county after Willowbrook.
The library will celebrate its centennial anniversary on Saturday, May 11 with a re-dedication ceremony. The event, which kicks off at noon, includes a performance by Native American dancers and activities for children. Refreshments will be served.
Since its inception, the library has moved to several different locations, settling into its current home on 4545 Oakwood Ave. in 1971. It opened 100 years ago with a modest collection of 71 books, which has since grown substantially to 75,000 items, including periodicals and audio books.
The library, while having the honor of being the second oldest in the county, was also created before La Cañada Flintridge was incorporated.
La Cañada and Flintridge were two unincorporated communities in Los Angeles until they merged to become one city in 1976. The library's name was then changed to reflect the new city.
For more information on Saturday's event, call the library at (818) 790-3330.
-- Tiffany Kelly, email@example.com