Often times we get into the mindset that the only time we need to provide feedback to employees is when we do a formal evaluation. Not true. Providing feedback, whether it is on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis is extremely important as we develop great employees. Unfortunately, formal evaluations are viewed like a visit to the doctor for our annual check-up. Typically they end up on focusing on identifying problems and are often viewed as a dreaded process by both the employee and employer. Don't get me wrong they are necessary to the overall management of employees, but feedback should be done often and in a positive manner.
So what are the benefits of providing good positive feedback often?
· Positive feedback rewards the recipient for an action that contributed to business success. It also reinforces the desired behavior and causes it to be repeated.
· Positive feedback can be motivating. It gives the employee a sense of accomplishment, achievement, recognition, and a sense of importance to the business.
· Positive feedback assists in holding employees accountable. Praise adds clarity to the desired results and reinforces what performance is acceptable by the employer. On the opposite side of the fence if a positive culture exists, the absence of positive reinforcement can serve as an effective consequence to stimulate improved performance.
· Positive feedback stimulates job satisfaction. Most employees prefer to do a job well and be appreciated for it.
By utilizing positive reinforcement often with employees there should be no surprises for employees about how they are doing when it comes time for the annual performance review. Lastly, challenge yourself as an employer to find your employees doing something right daily and then tell them. You will be surprised how this impacts your employee(s).
· Erven, B.; Milligan, R.; Dunn, B.; Renelt, T. (2012) Human Resource Management on Modern Dairies: Hiring, Motivating, and Retaining Productive Dairy Farm Employees. ES05-1007-2012. South Dakota State University, Brookings, S.D.