LEXINGTON — Sometimes one can just be at a loss for words.
As Florida’s faster, more talented athletes were again beating Kentucky here Saturday night as they have now done for 25 straight years, I wondered what would be the best angle to take about the game.
Kentucky’s turnovers? Florida’s speed? Empty seats? Kentucky mistakes?
However, with today’s technology, I decided to seek help via Twitter. Midway of the second quarter I simply tweeted this question: If you were writing a game column, what angle would you take?
I thought I¿might get a response or two. Was I wrong. In less than five minutes, I¿had about 75 responses — and most were funnier, more creative or more insightful than anything I¿thought I could write to entertain you or explain this 48-10 loss. Florida had its first 400-yard rushing game since 1989 against New Mexico State by shredding the UK defense for 405 yards to drop UK to 2-2 on its way to 2-4 with games at LSU¿and South Carolina.
That’s why I thought rather than boring you with more meaningless statistics like the 4-for-17 UK was on third-down conversions, I might just enlighten you as to what die-hard Kentucky fans were thinking by sharing some of their tweets about suggested story angles from this game that was over as soon as UK¿starting turning the ball over and giving Florida way too good of field position.
So here goes a sampling of what fans who were watching suggested:
- Joker (Phillips) leads resurrection of Bill Curry ball at Kentucky and Commonwealth Stadium returns to a state of despair.
- Write about how the honeymoon is over for Joker. These are his recruits, his coaches. No excuses.
- So much for continuity.
- If the players around the QB don't do their jobs, the QB can't do his. And that is coaching, and ours isn't good right now.
- Defensive energy early killed by offensive miscues that changed field position and game.
- Only 3 weeks till basketball.
- Football program needs doses of Pride, Talent and Heart.
- Basketball recruiting.
- When does basketball season start?
- Just copy and paste a story from any of the previous 25 losses. Same story over and over. I just hope they can beat UT.
- If they don’t let (Maxwell) Smith or a backup QB get some experience and this keeps going u should question why.
- Reach for (Mike) Leach.
- 3 Florida TDs came off turnovers, 4th TD came when UK¿had to defend a short field. Defense played better than it appears.
- This kinda stuff happens after 24 years approach.
- Why only 40,000 will show up for the next home game.
- How about the fact that there is no longer that feeling that fans had that maybe we had a chance even before kickoff.
- No matter who tells you this is the year, they lied.
- Help wanted.
- Pictorial essay on Jorts? Interview the fans still in the stands in the fourth quarter and ask, why?
- Talk about the basketball team being introduced for 95 percent of article, and football 5 percent.
- At least they’re not Louisville.
- I’d be super negative about coaching. It would match the product on the field
- The truth. This is a mediocre program that is getting worse under the current leadership of the last 2 years.
- Did Joker kill the program’s momentum when he dismantled (Rich) Brooks’ coaching staff.
- Write a column about how the UK uniforms are actually summoning a performance worthy of the Manning-less Colts.
- Why shouldn't UK fans look toward basketball season when the next month is pretty much already determined?
- Rise? Do we really have to get to ashes before we do?
The Cats are frustrated, too. Joker Phillips, a former receiver, doesn’t like the drops his receivers and running backs continue to have. He didn’t like letting Florida break off too many big plays.
“I think they play hard. I just think it gets infectious when mistakes are made,” Phillips said. “When you lose confidence, you see guys loaf and not strain. Our guys are straining to make plays.”
Phillips insisted the talent gap between UK¿and Florida is not that wide. However, offensive coordinator
Randy Sanders sounded a bit different.
“When you have mistakes, you need erasers (players who can wipe out those plays). Right now, we don’t have a lot of erasers. Florida does,” Sanders said. “We just still have a lot of work to do.”
“We are 2-2. It’s not a pretty 2-2. No doubt about that. We are a football team that looks good at times. The thing that is lost in this is we did some good things at times,” Phillips said. “But we have a team that is battling. They are fighting, trying. We just have to get mistakes corrected and that starts with me.”