| Sep 5, 2010
The Sonderberg Case
Elie Wiesel, translated from the French by Catherine Temerson
Alfred A. Knopf: 178 pp., $25
Elie Wiesel's "Night," a memoir of Auschwitz and Buchenwald that is a pillar of Holocaust literature, is read by schoolchildren all...
| Sep 25, 2009
| 4:32 AM
Hundreds of demonstrators opposed to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad marched across the Brooklyn Bridge chanting ???Hey, ho, Ahmadinejad has to go!??? and carrying vibrant green banners that flapped in the air. The march, organized by Voices 4 Iran,...
| Oct 12, 2009
| 4:34 AM
The Nobel Peace Prize was first. What other premature awards are enroute for the Democratic chief executive?...
| Dec 10, 2009
| 9:32 PM
President Obama accepted the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo today, acknowledging in his speech the hotly debated irony of receiving it as a wartime president. According to a Times article today, Obamaâs speech to the Nobel Committee defended his......
| Feb 25, 2010
| 9:32 PM
After deliberating for hours on healthcare in Thursday's summit, President Obama turned to the arts, entertainment, literature and scholarship, conferring the National Medal of Arts -- the nation's highest award in the field -- on 12 recipients and the...
| Apr 27, 2008
By Richard Rayner
Off the southwest coast of Finland are more than 80,000 small islands left by the retreating ice 10,000 years ago. Some of the islands are mere rocks, washed by the cool waters of the Baltic, but many are covered in pine and fir trees...
| Feb 15, 2009
1. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates ($14.95)
2. The Shack by William P. Young ($14.99)
3. The Reader by Bernhard Schlink ($13.95)
4. The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga ($14)
5. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz ($14)
| Feb 22, 2009
"Purple in the grays. Vermillion in the orange shadows, on a cold, fine day."
-- Pierre Bonnard, from his notebooks
Manhattan in a winter storm seems galaxies away from Bonnard's bright interiors. I carry an exhibition catalog from the Metropolitan...
| Dec 20, 2008
Wall Street today may be a vast global community with multinational reach. But it's also a small, insulated world based on trust, where your word and a handshake are your bond.
Just ask Steven Spielberg, or Jeffrey Katzenberg, or anyone else...
| May 31, 2009
1. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame-Smith ($12.95)
2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows ($14)
3. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer ($10.99)
4. City of Thieves by...
| May 3, 2009
1. Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri ($15)
2. New Moon by Stephenie Meyer ($10.99)
3. Twilight by Stephenie Meyer ($10.99)
4. The Shack by William P. Young ($14.99)
5. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery ($15)
6. City of Thieves...