Smoke from an overheating motor forced authorities to move about 60 children from a childcare center attached to a church this afternoon on the North Side.

Police said a fire alarm activated at 1:23 p.m. when a boiler overheated in the Concordia Place childcare center, 3855 N. Seeley Ave. The smoke went through a vent and into a room where the children were located.

No injuries were reported.

"One of the motors in a vent burned out and there was odor in the building,'' said Concordia Place spokeswoman Kiki Collias. "We evacuated the building."

About 60 children between the ages of two and five were taken outside briefly while fire officials cleared the smoke and checked for elevated carbon monoxide readings, according to Collias.

No one was hurt and the children were back inside by 2:45 p.m., according to Collias and police.

The Concordia Lutheran Church is connected to the child care center.

A Chicago Fire Department spokesperson could not be reached.

rsobol@tribune.com