| Sep 9, 2013
| 7:47 PM
A man died Monday evening of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after running a gasoline generator in the basement of his Northeast Baltimore home, fire department officials said.
The power was out in the neighborhood that evening as Baltimore Gas...
| Jul 9, 2013
| 5:11 PM
Maryland utilities participating in a voluntary program that encourages the use of suppliers owned by minorities, women or disabled veterans spent 11 percent less on contracts with such businesses last year even as total contracting grew modestly.
| Sep 1, 2013
Sick of $450-a-month gas and electric bills for their Baltimore County rowhouse, James and JoAnn Allis replaced their old, inefficient air conditioner. And their windows and doors. Then they added insulation in their home's many leaky spots and coated...
| Aug 29, 2013
| 6:21 PM
More than six years after a cadet died in a botched training exercise in a vacant house, Baltimore firefighters will have a new "live burn" building at their academy to conduct such exercises under safer conditions.
The Baltimore Fire Department,...
| Aug 28, 2013
| 3:31 PM
Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. warned Wednesday that it will turn off PeakRewards customers' air conditioning compressors during some or all of a three-hour stretch Thursday, part of a required test.
BGE's PeakRewards offers bill credits to those who...
| Aug 23, 2013
| 11:59 AM
Date: June 7, 2013
Her story: Jennifer White, 29, was born in Citrus County, Fla., and moved to Middle River when she was 9. She is a prepress technician at Printing Corporation of America, located in Timonium. Her father, Neil Palmer, works for...
| Aug 23, 2013
| 5:25 PM
The cause of days-long power outages in Southeast Baltimore earlier this summer and the work by Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. to prevent future problems will be discussed at a public meeting hosted by BGE officials in Fells Point on Monday, according...
| Aug 27, 2013
To avoid the kind of grid instability and electrical outages in Fells Point, Canton and other growth areas, Maryland should simply require all new residential construction to include at least 3 kilowatts of solar energy per house or apartment. Brownouts...
| Aug 12, 2013
| 5:43 PM
— A decade after a vast power outage shut down the Northeast, the electricity grid remains "highly vulnerable" to blackouts because of extreme weather events fueled by climate change, a report issued Monday by the White House and the Energy...
| Aug 10, 2013
| 11:00 AM
Baltimore Gas and Electric Company has recently requested a monthly surcharge on gas customers to cover part of the cost of replacing old pipes ("BGE asks for monthly gas-bill surcharge," Aug. 2).
This in addition to a prior BGE filing in May for a rate...
| Aug 5, 2013
| 1:14 PM
Catherine L. Benicewicz, a retired substitute teacher who sought to keep alive the history of the Polish community that inhabited Brooklyn and Curtis Bay, died Saturday of kidney failure at Harbor Hospital.
The lifelong Brooklyn resident was 94.