Indianapolis Fire Department
October 4, 2011
An unattended burning candle is believed to be the cause of a house fire that left 3 residents homeless. Rosa Payton (33) told firefighters that she and her roommate Sam Harris (48) were both asleep in their rooms when the candle she left burning on the floor caught her bedding on fire. Rosa ran to Sam¿s room and told him to bring water as the fire was not that big. Unable to contain the rapidly growing blaze they both evacuated the house leaving a dog (a Papillion named Dody) inside. Firefighters later found the puppy alive and well. The third occupant Kellie Harris (41) was not home at the time.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke showing and made an aggressive interior attack. IEMS Medics at the scene attended to both Rosa and Sam, but only transported Rosa to Wishard Hospital in stable condition. She showed obvious signs of smoke inhalation and was transported as a precaution. Sam signed an SOR. The occupants have lived in the home for seven months however none of the residents have renters insurance and will be working with IFD Victims Assistance for shelter.
The Indianapolis Fire Department would like to remind residents to never leave a burning candle unattended. Next week is the start of National Fire Prevention week and the IFD encourages all residents to make sure they have working smoke detectors on each level of their home.