MUSKEGON—Muskegon Heights forfeited their impressive season opening win over Muskegon Oakridge for the use of an ineligible player. It was found that starting wide reciever and defensive back Mike Taylor had used the allotted 8 semesters of athletic eligibility before the 2009-2010 school year. Taylor transferred into Muskegon Heights as a sophomore so that is where the confusion happened. Taylor played and caught a touchdown in the win over Oakridge, but if you told me they were going to play again (and they will in the postseason), without him I would still tell you that Muskegon Heights is the better team.
Last Friday The Heights rolled over Grand Rapids Central 75-0. Now while I was very critical of Will Snead III when he scored 84 against Wyoming Rogers last season, I am not upset this time as the Tigers had 3 special teams touchdowns in the 2nd half and ran only one 2nd half play that was not a kneel down. Central just happens to be really inexperienced in their final season of athletics.
While Taylor was a nice weapon for quarterback Willie Snead IV, the Tigers still have plenty of weapons including Deonte Hudson, Van Parker and Derek Johnson. I ranked the Tigers 6th in my blitz poll before finding out about the forfeit and I still have them there after. The loss of Taylor does not make Muskegon Heights a worse football team; it simply makes their record 1-1 instead of 2-0.
Blitz voters dropped the Tigers from 7 to 10 this week, I have them holding steady at number 6. This week Blitz #5 Hamilton hosts Zeeland West, I do not have Hamilton in my Blitz top 10 and Friday night you will see why, Zeeland West will win that game. Also appearing this week in the Blitz top 10 Hastings, I was a year early on this team, I thought 2008 was going to be their year. I do not have Hastings in my rankings this week, but if Dewey Slaughter and company keep it up I will be forced to give them some serious consideration.
My Blitz Top 10 for week 3:
1. East Grand Rapids (2-0) - Solid in win over Kenowa Hills.
2. Lowell (2-0) - Steamrolled Holland.
3. Rockford (2-0) - Impressive against Holt.
4. Muskegon (2-0) - Beat a good Ottawa Hills 28-14 team Saturday.
5. West Catholic (2-0) - The Falcons open the Blue as heavy favorites.
6. Muskegon Heights (1-1) - Not moving in my poll.
7. Montague (2-0) - After watching the OV game on TV, I don't know how you stop their passing game.
8. Ravenna (2-0) - Started slow but took care of Shelby 27-12.
9. Kenowa Hills (1-1) - No shame in losing to Blitz number 1.
10. Mendon (2-0) - Another shutout last week, that's 15 in their last 28.
Also Recieving Votes: East Kentwood, Holland Christian, Zeeland West, Grandville, Hastings, Portage Northern, Portage Central, Forest Hills Eastern.