| Nov 21, 2012
| 7:11 PM
A 19-year-old man shot in the knee earlier this month died after he developed an infection while being treated, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
His death was ruled a homicide.
Darrell Austin, of the 9500 block of South...
| Aug 12, 2012
Local hospitals are working hard to be safer places for patients. Representatives of the three major health systems on the Peninsula, independently of each other, describe it as a "culture shift" in progress.
The drivers behind enhanced accountability...
| Aug 24, 2012
| 4:40 PM
No parent would ever intentionally leave a child in a steaming car on a hot summer day. But it happens every year to astounded parents. Dr. Melissa Sparrow, clinical director of pediatric inpatient and emergency services at Greater Baltimore Medical...
| Oct 10, 2012
| 7:20 AM
HONG KONG -- One of four Hong Kong women struck down with septic shock after receiving a "beauty" treatment normally given to cancer patients has died.
The 46-year-old died Wednesday morning at a local hospital one week after receiving DC-CIK therapy...
| Apr 29, 2012
| 8:26 PM
Davey Johnson hadn't owned a home in more than a decade. But soon after being hired by the Orioles in 1995, he defied baseball managers' conventional logic by buying — rather than renting — a ranch house on the north side of Loch Raven...
| May 7, 2012
| 2:32 PM
A Martinsville caregiver has been found guilty of abuse and neglect following the 2011 death of an incapacitated adult.
A jury has recommended that Richard C. Wagoner Jr. serve five years in prison. Wagoner won't be sentenced until Oct. 18.
| May 7, 2012
| 7:55 PM
A jury says the owner of an adult group home in Martinsville is guilty of abuse.
Richard Wagoner ran The Claye Corporation. Investigators say in February 2011, one of the residents, Joseph Tuggle, was forced under a faucet with scalding hot water.
| May 11, 2012
| 7:22 AM
My mom wants to help me with my problems, guide my decisions and protect me from those who would cause me pain.
When I was 14 years old, my friend's mom called me out of the blue. Once she had me on the line, she threw accusations, saying she didn't want...
| May 17, 2012
| 8:35 AM
The story of a 24-year-old Georgia graduate student fighting a flesh-eating disease has prompted a microbiologist with the Veterans Affairs Maryland Health Care System to speak out about the infection.
Aimee Copeland lost most of her left leg after the...
| May 21, 2012
| 4:50 AM
UPSTATE, S.C. -- The family of Lana Kuykendall -- a mother of three-week-old twins who is battling a rare flesh-eating bacteria -- realizes all too well that she "still has a long road ahead" after seven surgeries.
"We don't know what the next day is...
| May 17, 2012
| 12:23 PM
It's been a tough month for music fans, and the bad news hasn't slowed down.
On Wednesday, we lost the Godfather of Go-Go and D.C. legend Chuck Brown to complications from sepsis. He was 75. Naturally, his loss was felt particularly hard in the Baltimore...