| Jan 12, 2012
| 9:55 PM
A student at Issaquah High School went into anaphylactic shock Thursday because the school cafeteria had kiwi on the menu – a fruit to which she is allergic. And she’s not just allergic to just eating them, but suffers even when exposed to...
| Oct 11, 2012
| 12:37 PM
Do I have to carry the two Epipen’s my doctor prescribed, or can I divide them to accommodate for school and home?
Yes, the 2 EpiPen’s given by your doctor are not to be divided so you can have one for school and for the road. Up to 20% of...
| Oct 17, 2012
| 11:02 AM
Julie Bowen was on the set of the television show "Boston Legal" four years ago when she got the call from her husband, who was on his way to the hospital with their then-infant son Oliver.
While hanging out in the backyard of their California home,...
| Oct 22, 2012
| 2:21 PM
Last week I was recounting the story of a gravely ill heifer calf that was dying during treatment for bloat. Once it became apparent that it was too late to relieve the bloat with the stomach tube, I retrieved a trocar from my truck. When I got back to...
| Oct 24, 2012
For parents of children with food allergies, navigating everyday life can be like side-stepping land mines.
Play dates, birthday parties and after-school activities all pose potentially life-threatening hazards. And there's Halloween, when candy...
| May 14, 2012
| 8:19 AM
Today, May 16, 2012, is the first National Hereditary AngioEdema (HAE) Day designed to bring attention to a disease that affects more than 1 in 10,000 people and that usually strikes in childhood or adolescence.
HAE is a genetic disorder that's...
| May 16, 2012
| 7:15 AM
For the first time in Indiana, the state is recognizing Food Allergy Awareness Week. And it's happening because of a local mom whose son is severely allergic to peanuts.
You can't be too careful in Erica Andert's house.
"We always, always check out...
| May 22, 2012
Nancy Dedman has to be careful around food after being diagnosed with food allergies.
Her mom Rachael knows all too well the scary warning signs when Nancy accidentally ingests an ingredient on her no-no list.
"She starts to turn bluish gray,”...
| May 22, 2012
| 4:48 PM
Four state bills sponsored by members of the Washington County delegation were signed into law in Annapolis on Tuesday, including:
- A bill sponsored by Sen. Christopher B. Shank, R-Washington, requiring each county board of education to establish a...
| May 23, 2012
| 10:45 AM
In what parents and health organizations called a life-saving measure, Gov. Martin O' Malley signed into a law Tuesday a bill that will require all Maryland schools to maintain an emergency supply of epinephrine in order to respond to a growing trend of...
| May 24, 2012
| 4:00 AM
Maryland public schools will all soon be keeping emergency supplies of epinephrine on hand for students who may have an allergic reaction, and patient advocates are applauding the new law.
“Receiving a dose of epinephrine in the critical minutes...