| Jun 26, 2013
| 9:24 AM
Chances are in coming days when you’re reading about percussionist Alan Myers, who died Monday after a battle with brain cancer, the words "human metronome" will be used. Myers' drumming for punk band Devo came to define the band’s off-kilter...
| Jun 23, 2013
| 2:29 PM
You could credit the so-called super moon rising, the fireworks, the perfect weather or some combination thereof, but an unexplainable event occurred on Saturday during the annual "Opening Night at the Bowl" at the Hollywood Bowl.
Steven Tyler and Joe...
| Jun 21, 2013
| 12:08 PM
This post has been updated. See below for details.
The relentlessly catchy chorus from Genesis Be's new track "Tampons & Tylenol" isn't one I expected to be looping in my head all morning. But ever since the Village Voice's Sound of the City blog posted...
| May 24, 2013
| 1:34 PM
Looks can be deceiving, especially when it comes to nebulae.
From here on Earth, the well-studied Ring Nebula looks like a fiery, slightly misshapen ring with fuzzy edges and a hole in its center.
But using data collected from the Hubble Telescope,...
| May 10, 2013
It was your basic, run-of-the-mill accident. Kim Haselhoff's 9-year-old son got nipped in the finger by one of the family dogs. It didn't seem too serious, but there was a bit of blood.
Unfortunately, the pediatrician's office had just closed, and the...
| Feb 21, 2013
| 6:28 PM
Sue Grey had used the product before, so she knew what to expect when she purchased a bottle of Super Colon Cleanse at a Woodland Hills CVS drugstore. Inside should have been 240 little gray capsules.
But when Grey, 57, opened the sealed bottle at her...
| Feb 2, 2013
| 5:15 PM
I've used deer antler spray for two days now, and I've rarely felt better, though I do find myself with an overwhelming urge to grind my itchy noggin against big birch trees, and last night, as someone pulled into the driveway, I just suddenly froze in...
| Jan 15, 2013
Call it the $55,000 cat bite.
That's the rough total in medical costs (so far) for a cat bite on my hand that turned into an infection that turned into surgery that turned into a week in the hospital. Cruddy cat.
When I first wrote about the episode...
| Nov 11, 2012
Fourteen of Doanh Nguyen's patients have died of prescription drug overdoses since 2005, coroner's records show.
But he's not to blame for any of them, he said.
His practice in Orange County's Little Saigon caters to pain sufferers of all kinds....
| Oct 2, 2012
James E. Burke
Johnson & Johnson CEO during Tylenol poisoning
James E. Burke, the former Johnson & Johnson chief executive whose leadership during the Tylenol poisoning scare of the 1980s became a model for corporate crisis management, died Friday in...
| Jul 12, 2012
| 9:37 PM
The undercover sheriff’s deputy pretending to be a patient in pain presented a Glendora physician with an X-ray to accompany her tale of an injured back and neck. The only problem was the X-ray revealed a "tail" of a different......