HANCOCK —A man suffered second- and third-degree burns to his face, hands and arms when he opened the radiator cap of a vehicle Friday morning on the shoulder of Interstate 70 near Hancock, Maryland State Police said.
Salifou Pessouore, 43, address unavailable, was flown to an undisclosed hospital in the MedStar health system, according to a state police news release.
Troopers said Pessouore’s 2002 Nissan Altima overheated at about 9 a.m. Friday when he was driving west on I-70 near Md. 655.
Police said Pessouore pulled over on the right shoulder, looked under the hood and was sprayed by steam and radiator fluid when he removed the radiator cap.
Paramedics treated Pessouore at the scene.
Both sides of the roadway were closed for about 15 minutes while a medivac helicopter landed on the interstate, according to the release.
The Washington County Sheriff’s Office and Washington County Fireboard personnel assisted at the scene.