ANCHORAGE, Alaska—Serves 4 as an appetizer
1 Tbsp. olive oil
¼ C. diced smoked ham (¼-inch cubes)
8 U-12 shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1 Tbsp. garlic
¼ C. diced Roma tomato
½ C. wild mushrooms
¼ C. white wine
2 oz. Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
2 oz. chicken stock
¼ C. cream
2 Tbsp. soft butter
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
2 Tbsp. minced green onions
1 C. prepared grits, with addition of grated white cheddar and corn kernels to taste; keep warm
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet; sear ham until lightly caramelized.
2 Add shrimp and sear with ham until nice color is achieved. Add mushrooms, tomatoes and garlic and sauté with shrimp for one minute; deglaze with white wine.
3. Add Red Hot Sauce and stock and bring to a boil, removing shrimp to prevent from overcooking.
4. Reduce liquid by one-third, add cream and bring to full boil; as cream reduces, whisk in butter a little at a time until incorporated.
5. Finish sauce with minced green onions and chopped cilantro.
6. Spoon grits onto warm plates, adding two shrimp to each mound of grits. Spoon finished sauce over shrimp and garnish with fresh cilantro leaves.