Brandon Jagger has mild Asthma. But Monday morning, it was anything but mild.
"My airways were constricted, so I was wheezing," Jagger said.
His wheeze was so pronounced, that at 1 a.m. his partner Lilliana loaded him up in the car and took him the emergency room at Sutter Hospital. Once there, they found long lines of people with the same problem.
"I'd never seen that many people hunched-over, unable to breathe before. It was kind of scary," Lilliana Harte said.
"When there are that many patients to be taken care of, we can't do the traditional treatments- one doc, one nurse, and one room. So we have to spread out into hallways and temporary spaces," said Dr. Kelly Nations. Nations is the Medical Director of Sutter's Emergency Rooms.
His doctors saw dozens more patients than usual Sunday night and Monday morning. In fact, there were so many patients gasping for air that the emergency room ran out of portable oxygen tanks. So they had to bring them in from other parts of the hospital.
Next, Doctors started checking with emergency responders to make certain there hadn't been some accident that had created a toxic cloud.
"That was one of the concerns," said Dr. Nations. "But as it turns out, that wasn't the problem."
Instead, the problem was a common as the grass beneath your feet. In fact, it was the grass beneath your feet. Sunday saw a spike in grass pollen and on a warm Mother's Day, there were a lot of people out in it.