UCF is expected to receive official word from the NCAA today that it has received relief from the NCAA appeals committee and its football bowl ban for this fall will be lifted.

Two UCF sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed on Friday that the ban indeed had been overturned.

The news is both welcome and surpringing. Around 10 percent of appeals heard by the NCAA in the last five years have been granted relief, according to Jerry Parkinson, a law professor at the University of Wyoming who served as appeals coordinator for the NCAA Committee on Infractions from 2000 to 2010.

University spokesman Grant Heston said the school would hear from the NCAA on Monday.

The Knights’ appeal victory was first reported by former UCF quarterback Kyle Israel and Tony Comas on WRSO (810-AM).

UCF was hit with hefty sanctions after the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions determined the school committed major recruiting infractions and suffered from a “loss of institutional control.” UCF athletics director Keith Tribble and wide receivers coach David Kelly resigned when the NCAA outlined violations committed by the school.

UCF officials accepted a long list of sanctions, including a men’s basketball postseason ban and scholarship reductions in both men’s basketball and football. The school self-imposed other penalties. However, UCF President John Hitt opted to appeal the football ban, because he said school officials felt the punishment was excessive. UCF did not appeal any of the other NCAA penalties.

Knights coach George O’Leary was the main proponent behind the decision to appeal the bowl ban, and his team now appears to be eligible for the postseason in its first year in the American Athletic Conference.

The conference – formerly known as the Big East – is in its final season as an automatic qualifier for a Bowl Championship Series game.

E-mail Paul Tenorio at ptenorio@orlandosentinel.com. Follow him on Twitter @OSKnights.