Emergency responders rushed to the Odawa administration offices for a reported possible gas leak.
Petoskey Department of Public Safety officials determined shortly after 9 a.m. today, Tuesday, Jan. 31, that no explosive gas leaked into the office building in the 900-block of Spring Street in Petoskey. Despite that, tribal officials said they do not yet know whether they will re-open the building today.
“They smelled something unusual,” said Dexter McNamara, chairman of the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians.
Just two of the five employees who work in the building arrived before calling emergency responders for the possible gas leak. Tribal officials told the others not to come to work today, McNamara said.
Lt. Matt Breed, of the city’s Department of Public Safety, said they received the call around 8:45 a.m. and sent two teams into the building with gas detectors. The readings showed elevated carbon monoxide levels, but not at dangerous levels, he said.
Authorities did not detect any explosive gas, but DTE Energy officials still arrived to inspect the facility and both its gas lines and connections, Breed said.
Breed also said the tribe acted wisely when officials quickly evacuated the building when they detected the gaseous smell on both the first and second levels.
“That was very smart,” he said.
Authorities cleared the scene by 9:15 a.m., but McNamara said he remained uneasy about sending employees back inside to finish the work day.
Michcon, a division of DTE Energy, recommends residents leave buildings or areas where they smell gas and immediately call authorities. Suspected gas leaks also should be reported to the company by calling the hotline at 1-800-947-5000, according to the company’s web site.