Topics

Mitchell Englander
L.A. to pay $26 million for ban on naps by garbage-truck drivers
L.A. to pay $26 million for ban on naps by garbage-truck drivers

The Los Angeles City Council on Tuesday finalized a $26-million legal settlement to end a lawsuit over a ban on lunchtime naps by trash-truck drivers. The expenditure, approved on a 9-2 vote, resolves a class-action lawsuit involving nearly 1,100 sanitation workers who said they were improperly barred from sleeping and engaging in other activities during their meal breaks. The Times reported in February that the council had endorsed the settlement. Councilman Paul Krekorian, who supported the payment, said the settlement was not publicly announced earlier this year because it was not final and needed the approval of a judge. Sanitation officials had imposed the no-nap rule to avoid the...

Loading