| Nov 27, 2012
| 9:55 AM
Talking baseball while wondering how Tom Thibodeau is going to survive until Derrick Rose returns:
1. To say that Marvin Miller was as tough as nails is to compliment the strength of nails. Miller has passed away at the age of 95, and somewhere there...
| Apr 17, 2013
| 7:17 AM
Talking baseball while wondering if the Blackhawks can sell out Soldier Field.
1. Don Cooper will be the happiest man at U.S. Cellular on Friday, when he’s officially back to work after a bout with diverticulitis.
In one more cruel twist, however,...
| Apr 16, 2013
Last week's ranking in parentheses
1. Braves (1): Evan Gattis keeps hitting. The Braves outscored the Nationals 18-5 in impressive sweep.
2. Giants (8): Hunter Pence looks primed for a big season.
3. Nationals (3): Davey Johnson says this will be...
| Mar 30, 2013
| 1:10 PM
Chicago baseball returns Monday with a basis to be genuinely excited about possibilities of the future, but enough about Rosemont.
As for citywide interest in the Cubs and Sox, the list of reasons to drop everything and pay attention is here somewhere...
| Sep 30, 2012
| 5:47 PM
With their crosstown rivals in an organized retreat for the first time in anyone's memory, the White Sox spent 117 days in first place and went into the last weekend of the season with a division title in their reach.
The weather was beautiful and there...
| Apr 2, 2013
During a recent Florida Gulf Coast University basketball game during its Cinderella run through the NCAA tournament, White Sox ace Chris Sale barely could contain himself watching his alma mater on television.
"My wife (Brianne) and I were in our living...
| Apr 1, 2013
| 6:12 AM
Talking baseball while congratulating the Louisville Cardinals for winning one for their horribly injured teammate, Kevin Ware.
1. Growing up in Puerto Rico, Alex Rios idolized Juan Gonzalez. If the White Sox are going to contend this season, they need...
| Apr 11, 2011
| 4:32 AM
Julius Peppers sits courtside during the Bulls-Boston Celtics game at the United Center in Chicago on April 7, 2011. (Chris Sweda/Chicago Tribune) The Bears' Julius Peppers watched the Bulls defeat the Boston Celtics at the United Center on Thursday and...
| Apr 17, 2011
| 4:33 PM
Jeff Mathis was back in the Angels' lineup Sunday against the Chicago White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle. Mathis was expected to be the starting catcher when spring training ended, but after his average fell to .192, he watched rookie Hank......
| Apr 15, 2011
| 4:34 PM
Hank Conger wasn't the only one who figured he'd start this season at Salt Lake City. He hit just .231 in spring training, more than 70 points below Bobby Wilson, his chief competition for the roster spot reserved for a......
| Apr 16, 2011
| 4:33 PM
Coming out of spring training the assumption was that Jeff Mathis had won the starting job behind the plate for Angels, Bobby Wilson would be his backup and Hank Conger would be in triple A if the Angels hadn't placed......