| Sep 5, 2013
| 7:36 PM
So much can go wrong. Can't-miss guys miss all the time. But suspend your skepticism, excuse some rough edges and Javier Baez's ascending arc screams what Cubs fans have been saying forever — wait till next year.
He is what baseball fans dream...
| Sep 4, 2013
Perry Hill, the Marlins' longtime first-base coach, may have become the first man in uniform to compliment the visiting clubhouse at Wrigley Field. He was happy to find that a small video room was added since his last visit, taking the monitors out of the...
| Sep 2, 2013
| 7:25 PM
1. Dodgers (2): Matt Kemp may yet provide a lift for the team that went 42-12 in July and August. One thing they're not doing is hitting for power. Their 19 homers in August were the third fewest among NL teams.
2. Tigers (1): Miguel Cabrera remains the...
| Jul 31, 2013
| 4:06 PM
Can anybody out there hit?
That's the question that has been going around baseball all season and it was asked once again, this time loud and clear, as the non-waiver trading period ended with a thud Wednesday.
With Major League Baseball going to...
| Jul 30, 2013
| 9:33 AM
Talking baseball while wishing the Bears luck in the Marc Trestman era:
1. It’s a little less than 28 hours until baseball’s deadline for non-waiver trades, and Chicago remains Seller City. The Cubs (five) and White Sox (two) have combined...
| Jul 29, 2013
| 4:56 PM
1. Tigers (4): Acquired closer Jose Veras from the Astros at a time Detroit hadn't had a blown save in 40 games. The bullpen has been much better since Joaquin Benoit took over as the closer.
2. Cardinals (1): They kicked the tires on Alexei Ramirez but...
| Jul 18, 2013
| 3:44 PM
Congratulations, you've almost made it to football season.
To get you through the last stretch of unwatchable baseball, I'm going to tease you with a special "visions of the future" column because the present is unbearable.
WARNING: The future will...
| Jul 14, 2013
| 4:44 PM
NEW YORK — Little more than another flashy kid on a minor league back field 16 months ago, Arismendy Alcantara is quickly making a name for himself in the Cubs organization.
And what a lyrical name it is.
"For starters, you just have to love the...
| Jul 13, 2013
| 1:34 PM
Starlin Castro is 23. Ditto Anthony Rizzo. They're not exactly going to be old men when the Cubs' best-in-baseball wave of amateur talent starts rolling into Wrigley Field, although they might feel like it.
With University of San Diego slugger Kris...
| Jul 12, 2013
| 8:53 PM
Kris Bryant stopped over at Wrigley Field on Friday, on his way to Mesa, Ariz. From there he will travel on to beautiful Boise, Idaho, where he will be initiated into pro baseball.
His father, Mike, picked up some dirt from the 99-year-old ballpark...
| Jul 10, 2013
| 7:08 PM
Kris Bryant wanted as much money as he could get. This being America, who is going to knock him for that?
But as was the case with Albert Almora a year ago, it was really, really hard — impossible, almost — to picture the Cubs' first-round...