Beginnings: Just as it does today, Lynbrook sat at the crossroads of major trading routes for hundreds of years. For most of that time, however, the routes were dirt paths used by Merikoke Indians. By 1785, a small community had been established where several trails met - a spot still known as Five Corners, at the intersection of Merrick Road, Hempstead Avenue, Broadway and Atlantic Avenue. Initially it was known as Bloomfield, but it soon became better known as Pearsalls Corners, after general store owner Wright Pearsall. The community began to grow in the years after 1853, when Merrick Road was covered with planks.
Photo: The Business Street, Lynbrook (from "Long Island To-day" by Frederick Ruther, 1909)