RSS feeds allow Web site content to be gathered via feed reader software. Click the subscribe link to obtain the feed URL for this page. The feed will update when new content appears on this page.

Seaford (Nassau, New York)

Seaford (Nassau, New York)
Beginnings: Indians fished, hunted and lived along the coastal land that is now Seaford. Indians may have called the area Ruskatux; Seaford Creek was once Ruskatux Creek and the southern part of the hamlet was known as Ruskatux Neck. One of the first settlers in Hempstead was Capt. John Seaman, a native of Seaford, England. He won a large patent for the area and oversaw the start of Jerusalem South - Seaford's first European name. Other settlers called the area as Seamans Neck. Although villages sprang to life in the 19th Century on the route of the Long Island Rail Road, Jerusalem South initially was unaffected. The hamlet was renamed Seaford in honor of Seaman's hometown in 1868.
Phot...
Show more »
Beginnings: Indians fished, hunted and lived along the coastal land that is now Seaford. Indians may have called the area Ruskatux; Seaford Creek was once Ruskatux Creek and the southern part of the hamlet was known as Ruskatux Neck. One of the first settlers in Hempstead was Capt. John Seaman, a native of Seaford, England. He won a large patent for the area and oversaw the start of Jerusalem South - Seaford's first European name. Other settlers called the area as Seamans Neck. Although villages sprang to life in the 19th Century on the route of the Long Island Rail Road, Jerusalem South initially was unaffected. The hamlet was renamed Seaford in honor of Seaman's hometown in 1868.
Photo: Fish Nets at Seaford (Photo from "Long Island To-day" by Frederick Ruther, 1909)
« Show less

Top Seaford (Nassau, New York) Articles see all

Displaying items 0-0
No articles were found for this topic.