Topics

Carle Place

Beginnings: Carle Place existed initially as a fragment of the Hempstead Plains. One of those settlers was Capt. Thomas Carle purchased land in the area in 1656. Cattle and sheep were turned loose on the plains to graze and thought little else of it. Not until 100 years later did farmers realize the land could be cultivated. One of Carle's descendants, Silas Carle, had become a successful pharmaceuticals merchant in New York City. Some time after 1800, he returned to Long Island to build a showy house on 220 acres for his family. Indeed, it became a local landmark, referred to by residents as "the Carle place,'' a name that eventually came to be applied to the community that developed around it, replacing the name Frog Hollow.

Loading