Beginnings: In the mid-1600s, John Seren was one of the first landholders in this area on the northern edge of the Hempstead Plains. The spelling of his family's name somehow evolved to Searing, leading to what became known as Searingtown. The family name also graced the Searing Memorial Methodist Church, which still sits on the somewhat indistinct border between Albertson and Searingtown. The church was founded in 1785, after itinerant preacher Philip Cox visited widow Hannah Searing and preached for her neighbors. The core of the current building was built in 1788 on land donated by Jacob Searing, Hannah's grandson.