Beginnings: In 1658 Daniel Whitehead of Oyster Bay purchased land from the Matinecock Indians. At the time, the eastern section of the peninsula was known as the Pines and the western section as Oak Neck. In 1674 the land was divided among 23 men who used it for pasture. Initial development centered near the western end of the village, the area now known as Friendly Corner.
Photo: Pleasure boaters and beachgoers enjoy the pebbled shore of Bayville around 1900. (Nassau County Museum Collection, Long Island Studies Institute)