Topics

Old Bethpage

Beginnings: The hills surrounding Old Bethpage mark the far eastern edge of the Hempstead Plains. Englishman Thomas Powell acquired it as part of his 15-square-mile purchase in 1695. Powell named his purchase from the Marsapeque Indians after Bethphage. Powell dropped one of the h's, but his purchase was between Long Island's Jericho and Jerusalem, now known as Wantagh. It wasn't until the 1870s, after Alexander T. Stewart purchased the plains, that industry came to Bethpage in the form of a large brickworks. The works supplied bricks for Stewart's Garden City and beyond until it closed in 1981.
Photo: Massapequa Park Bicycle Club pace along Round Swamp Road in Old Bethpage (Newsday / Ken Sawchuk)

Loading