Europe
Scottish voters reject independence from Britain

Topics

Old Brookville
Old Brookville

Beginnings: Like the rest of the Brookville area, what is now the Village of Old Brookville was part of mid-17th Century land purchases from the Matinecock Indians by Oyster Bay Town and early settlers in the Cedar Swamp territory east of Hempstead Harbor. English and Dutch farmers were the first white inhabitants. By the mid-1800s, their descendants were selling much of their corn to a starch factory in nearby Glen Cove, where the manufacturing residue was excellent cattle fodder coveted by farmers from miles around. Another occupation was the breeding of trolley car, brewery and delivery horses for New York City. The Rushmore house on Glen Cove Highway is the oldest house in the village. It dates in part to 1690 and retains its original handmade shingles and nails.
Photo: Old Brookville Reformed Church. (Photo by Pablo Corradi)

Loading