Beginnings: Not until the early 1800s did a few farmhouses sprout up along dirt roads that would later form the main thoroughfares of Lindenhurst. Life passed quietly for the first generation of settlers, until Thomas Welwood arrived in the 1860s. A Brooklyn real estate agent, Welwood saw great potential in the pine brush clearings near the tracks of the new South Side railroad, which first rolled through the area in 1867. By 1869, Welwood had acquired so much land in the region that the new railroad station was christened Wellwood, a misspelling that persists to this day.
Photo: The Railroad Station, Lindenhurst (Photo from "Long Island To-day" by Frederick Ruther, 1909)