72°

Topics

Wyandanch

Beginnings: To its earliest settlers, the area was known as West Deer Park. But in the 1880s, the area was renamed Wyandance after a local brickyard, the Wyandance Brick and Terra Cotta Corp. It soon reverted to West Deer Park when the yard burned down in 1894. However, residents adopted Wyandanch, one of many spellings of the great Indian sachem's name, in 1903 to avoid confusion with neighboring Deer Park. Meanwhile, Wheatley Heights got its name from a 1913 housing development promoted by Bellerose businessman William Geiger.

Loading