Beginnings: When the Long Island Rail Road reached what is now Medford in 1843, it was a good connection for the stagecoach line that ran between Patchogue and Port Jefferson along what was Stage Road (now Route 112). People started coming from miles around to get their mail. The soil was poor for farming, but the woods offered copious lumbering, and there were miles of land to be sold. The railroad held an auction in New York City in 1850 to peddle lots. The O.L. Schwenke Land & Investment Co. bought four square miles, and sold 25-by-100-foot lots for $10 to $75.
Photo: The Railroad Station, Medford from "Long Island To-day" by Frederick Ruther, 1909