79°

Topics

Patchogue

It was nicknamed Milltown because of the many mills -- gristmills, sawmills, paper, wool, cotton mills -- that operated on Patchogue waterways from as early as 1750. The village's permanent name may have derived from Pochaug or Paushag, which were the early settlers' interpretation of the name of Indians who lived in the vicinity.
Photo: Inside Shands General Store on West Main Street, about 1915.

Loading