78°

Topics

Ridge

Beginnings: Long before droves of senior citizens were drawn to the huge Leisure Village retirement community, the Randalls took up residence on Whiskey Road. In 1728, Stephen Randall staked out a farm in the mid-Island terrain that was once the hunting ground for the region's Indian tribes. So many Randalls followed Stephen that Ridge was originally called Randallville. Early maps also identified it as Ridgeville or Ridgefield, inspired by the geographical feature on its north side. Old-timers still refer to the area as ''the Ridge,'' as the Smith family once did.
Photo: Pond in the woods of Peconic River County Park south of Route 25 in Ridge. (Newsday / Jim Peppler)

Loading