Topics

Shoreham

Beginnings: Before it became Shoreham in 1906, the community had a succession of names, all of them inspired by notable residents or local industry. There was Woodville Landing and Woodville, stemming from the abundance of cordwood harvested from its forests in the mid-1800s. It was also known for a brief time as Swezey's Landing after Daniel Swezey built his general store there in 1885. And, when entrepreneur James Warden came along in 1895, parceling the land into two-acre plots, he preferred Wardenclyffe.
Photo: Telsa Experimental Station, Shoreham (Photo from "Long Island To-day" by Frederick Ruther, 1909)

Loading