Topics

Yaphank

Beginnings: In the mid 18th century, two mills were built along the Carmen's River by John Homan. These two mills inspired the first name for the town: Millville. In 1846 a post office was opened in the town, but because Millville was the name of thirteen other New York State towns, the town was renamed "Yaphank", from the Native American word "Yamphanke", meaning "bank of a river". In 1843 the Long Island Rail Road built a railroad station in Yaphank (still named Millville at the time), and virtually overnight the small mill town became a major commercial center.

Loading